Elizabeth Blackwell February, 2nd, 2019

Image result for elizabeth blackwell women in science rachel ignotofskyThis week has been really crazy! we have had mon, tues , wens and thurs that are all snow days! It was pretty fun, but now I am kinda bored.  So, during the snowdays I have worked on choosing my person for the science fair in march. Elizabeth Blackwell is the first women doctor. why did she want to be a doctor? Well, she went to visit a dying friend that was very young, who most likely had uterine cancer.  Her friend said that she wished  she had a women doctor so maybe she would have less pain.  So she decided to become a doctor. How did she get into medical school?  Well she applied to many, she got into Geneva medical School. The head of school asked all the students to vote on wether to let her in or not. They thought it was a joke and voted yes. They were very surprised to see a women walk in the door. What did she do later? Elizabeth blackwell later started her own practice for children and women in medical need that could not afford it. She advocated for womens rights and better hygiene in hospitals she also trained nurses in the union during the civil war.  She, also funded two medical schools and was a professor  for a while there.